Assistant Professor and Director of the One O’ Clock Lab Band, University of North Texas
Music for All’s tradition of outstanding national honor ensembles showcasing the finest high school musicians includes the Jazz Band of America. The Jazz Band of America is comprised of high school musicians, selected by recorded audition. The Jazz Band of America is recognized as one of the top honor ensembles for young musicians in the nation, with a prestigious legacy and reputation for the highest level of excellence. Many members of the Jazz Band of America are also selected for the GRAMMY® jazz bands. Past conductors and guest artists include Patti Austin, Shelly Berg, Wayne Bergeron, Ndugu Chancler, John Clayton, Lou Fischer, Wycliffe Gordon, Wynton Marsalis, Ron McCurdy, Allen Vizzutti and Phil Woods.
How to Apply
Members are selected from recorded audition and application. Applicants receive written evaluation on their audition recording. The application fee is $45.
Audition Video Recommendations:
JAZZ BAND OF AMERICA: WINDS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
1) Prepared Selection: Charlie Parker’s “Billie’s Bounce”- medium tempo with standard or alternate chord changes. Accompaniment may be live (preferred) or recorded. We also encourage the use of an interactive computer accompaniment program if live accompaniment is not available. (3 choruses of improvisation optional)
2) Swing Selection (Jazz Standard): Play a jazz classic or standard song in any jazz style, including the melody. If you are auditioning for a Jazz Chair – include improvisation on this selection, minimum two choruses/ maximum of three on this particular piece.
3) Lead/Section Trumpet, Section/Bass Trombone, or Baritone Saxophone ONLY: Choose an ensemble excerpt or jazz etude designed for your instrument in addition to the swing selection melody excerpt above that demonstrates your proficiency (style, technique, range — high for trumpet; low for bass trombone and baritone saxophone).
JAZZ BAND OF AMERICA: DRUM SET AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
1) Prepared Selection: Charlie Parker’s “Billie’s Bounce” blues choruses: 4 choruses of time, 2 choruses of trading 4s, 2 choruses of solo, repeat 2 choruses of time. Accompaniment may be live (strongly preferred) or recorded.
2) Demonstrate Time: Latin, Ballad (brushes), Hip Hop/Funk and Up-Tempo Swing. Play on song forms 1 minute each style. Include 1 chorus of improvisation for each style.
3) A 2 to 5-minute video segment playing time with a big band (not soloing). Live preferred but if not available, play-alongs accepted. Include materials authored by Steve Houghton and/or Gordon Goodwin.
JAZZ BAND OF AMERICA: BASS, GUITAR, PIANO AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
1) Prepared Selection: Charlie Parker’s “Billie’s Bounce.” Accompaniment may be live (preferred) or recorded, medium tempo with standard or alternate chord changes.
2) Swing Selection: Play a jazz classic or standard song in any jazz style.
3) Straight Eighth Selection (Brazilian/Afro-Cuban/Funk) Selection of your choice.
4) Ballad Selection: